Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register :: Search ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Lap Traffic, Mixing Comps with Elites< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Nathan Guerra Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members

Member Rating: 3.75
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2008,14:34  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only part of WORS I would change if I could.  This issue has always baffled me.  I have read blog after blog about racers feeling bad that lap traffic gave them an advantage, or took away someones chance at making a break or closing a gap.  It does not make for good racing.  From my personal experience, I guess I tend to be a little to lax on when to pass as some of my fellow racers let me know this past weekend, and this is another part of this issue that just sucks.  It seems to take the greatest advantage of these extra moving obstacles at different random spots in the course, I have to treat lap traffic like they are just that, simply obstacles that need to get out of the way.  I tend to like to be polite and wait for a good moment to pass, but in doing so I have a disadvatage to my competitors who will make a way even if it is riding somwhat rude, which I am actually fine with and maybe I should just take to this habit, but we are encouraged to wait for an opportune time.  Personally, i think the glorified sport class should either move up or move down, but this might not be best for turnout as this class format has seemed to help create the largest race series in the nation.  
    I am fine with riding with the elite women. Most of them get the idea to either move over immediately or ride well enough to make space even in the tightest single track, and there is only 20+ of them as compared to 100+ comp competitors.  At several points this weekend, a few elite riders and my self came upon a train of riders in single track, where we had to come to a complete stop dismount at times, run around this lap traffic, or sit and wait while they tried to maneuver the switchbacks and fall over in front of us...you get the picture..not isolated incident, it happened several times.  This makes most tactics of attacking, trying to close  a gap, or even how well one ride  a section of single track to pull away, pretty much useless once lap traffic gets involved later in the race, which I would argue is unfair to all competitors involved and a detraction from all the great things about this competitive race series.

Just posting to see if there are any good ideas out there about how to solve this issue, because its no fun for anybody involved and my attitude is slowly changing from "nice polite rider on your left" to "just  get the !&@^ outta my way PLEASE".  I know this is a personal choice and no environment can make me think in such a way, but the current setup is definitely fostering easy access to a lot of frustration.

If I am way out in left field about how elite competitors feel about this, please fellow riders let me know and I will just shut up, but if you have similar frustrations please speak up and let us know.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Russell Search for posts by this member.
There's no success like failure, and failure's no success at all

Member Rating: 3.48
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2008,14:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You could ask Don to move Elite to after the Comp race.
 Post Number: 3
unstuckpilgrim Search for posts by this member.
Banished from Libtardia

Member Rating: 2.17
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2008,14:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As a comp rider, I would be all for breaking up the Comp class and having everyone move up or down.  I'm not sure this would completely alleviate your frustrations though.  Do you really think traffic won't be an issue if you double or triple the size of the Elite field?  Now you have a bunch of slower guys in your race that are certainly not obligated to jump into the woods for you if you had a bad start and need to get by.

WORS is bigger than just those "few elite riders" and yourself, even if you don't like it sometimes.  Of course we should let you by safely, but I'm not dumping into the leaves in a tight sketchy section to save you 2 seconds.  We are racing too, even if you consider yourself more "serious".
 Post Number: 4
mountaingoat Search for posts by this member.
Internet Bully

Member Rating: 2.51
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2008,15:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He's talking about lapping people, not racing them on the same lap. Moving them into Elite would mean he'd have to race against them not through them...wouldn't it?

"glorified sport class"

That's pretty funny.

It's a part of Wors and won't ever change. Like it or not you have to deal with it just like any other part of the race.
 Post Number: 5
ruppio Search for posts by this member.
furiouser

Member Rating: 2.5
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2008,15:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

sounds like the beating of a dead horse
 Post Number: 6
unstuckpilgrim Search for posts by this member.
Banished from Libtardia

Member Rating: 2.17
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2008,15:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We do have it pretty good.  WORS is a pretty big sandbox with enough fun and competition in it for everyone.

I am no Elite yet, but I am pretty sure that the fastest guy won, even with all of us comps out there flopping around in front him (that is, when we were not already occupied bullying around the Elite women).
 Post Number: 7
Wheezer 2 Search for posts by this member.
Giving propellerheads fits since '05!

Member Rating: 1.81
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2008,16:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The "glorified sport class" could also be classified as the 2nd string expert class depending on where you are looking.  The scenario you are referring to is called racing.  If everyone slower than you was not on the course you would by default be the slowest then.  Who would you race against?  With close to 1000 racers a weekend there will inevitably be slower and faster riders in each class.  Even expert.  If you get held up a bit by a slower rider it is called resting.  When you pass you catch up.  If you can't the other guy was faster anyways.  Maybe ask one of the tattooed EPO sucking freaks how they do it.  Both managed to pass a fairly large group of relatively fast comps in short order with barely a peep out of them with no sketchy moves.  It's called experience, skill and talent.  They have it.  If this is a problem I suggest more practice.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Kenny@200 Search for posts by this member.
older guy

Member Rating: 2.37
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2008,16:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its early in the season and the EGO tanks are still full
 Post Number: 9
tmontee Search for posts by this member.

Member Rating: 3
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2008,16:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

just a kwik point, for the original poster -

there is a difference between passing ( overtaking ) people, and lapping people. the guidelines spell out two entirely different protocols for each. an elite wave guy coming up for the first time on a comp guy is NOT lapping that comp guy - he is passing ( overtaking ) him.  get to know your wors rulebook. :)
 Post Number: 10
Wheezer 2 Search for posts by this member.
Giving propellerheads fits since '05!

Member Rating: 1.81
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2008,17:35 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Kenny@200 @ May 19 2008,17:17)
Its early in the season and the EGO tanks are still full

There you go again.  It's spelled E P O.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
29 replies since May 19 2008,14:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Lap Traffic
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code